*************************                      *************************


Readers simply will not fully comprehend the various sub-issues within the court cases posted on this webpage unless visitors first read and understand this website's PATRIOTISM webpage. As we present in the opening commentary of our PATRIOTISM webpage, the WatchTower Society oftentimes has a much more important -- and oftentimes "secret" -- reason behind its teachings and policies than the reason or reasons presented publicly to non-members, government officials, court officials, and even its own membership.
Once readers have a basic understanding of how and why the WatchTower Society has for most of its history prohibited its members from serving in the Military and other governmental positions, then those same readers should be scratching their heads as to why the WatchTower Society has never prohibited its members from also working in law enforcement positions or other criminal justice related positions given the fact that for most of human history it has been every government's Military which performed the functions of law enforcement and criminal justice. In fact, based on their understanding of the public reasons for the WatchTower Society's prohibition against military service, many lessor informed rank-n-file Jehovah's Witnesses currently believe that employment as a police officer is also prohibited.
That general misunderstanding is supported by the WatchTower Society's directive -- finally issued in 1983 -- which prohibits any Jehovah's Witness carrying a firearm as part of their employment to hold any position in the WatchTower religion. The July 15, 1983 issue of the WATCHTOWER magazine, stated, in part (Note that while the new rule applied to any JW Member in a position requiring "exemplary" status, including JW Males in lessor positions, and even female Auxiliary Pioneers, Regular Pioneers, RBC workers, meeting and convention part participants, and those wishing to use Kingdom Halls for funerals or weddings, etc, the writers of this article make it clear at whom this new rule is really directed -- ELDERS):

"During these 'last days,' many employees are expected to carry a firearm. Bank or security guards, watchmen and policemen may even be required to do so to hold employment. But what of the Christian, who is obligated to 'provide for those who are his own'? ... His Bible-trained viewpoint would be different from that of worldly persons, who feel free to carry such weapons and to use them as they see fit in any dangerous situation that may arise. ... He will want to avoid bloodguilt, having in mind Jehovah's viewpoint on the sanctity of blood. ... A mature Christian should try to find unarmed employment. Some Witnesses by talking with their employer have been successful in changing to a job that does not require carrying a weapon. As the world becomes increasingly violent we can no longer regard as exemplary a brother who continues in armed employment. He could be allowed six months to make a change. If he does not make a change, he would not be in a position to hold special privileges of service and responsibility in the congregation."

Since the WatchTower Society has taught since World War I that its members should not bear arms in the Military, something "special" must have finally occurred around 1983 which pushed the WatchTower Society Leadership to officially form a policy which essentially PROHIBITS its local Jehovah's Witness leaders from being members of the law enforcement community. We believe that we have figured out that reason. Here is the court case which we believe "motivated" the WatchTower Cult's Leaders to finally "outlaw" Law Enforcement employees from serving as "leaders" in local Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses, where such Law Enforcement personnel are privy to the Congregation's most intimate "secrets", including info regarding members who are pedophiles and other criminals.

******************                             ******************







Click here to see an unretouched photograph of an African-American Jehovah's Witness GrandMother wearing a GAUDY, OVERSIZED "JW.bORG" SIGN on her lapel as she accepts an award at the WHITE HOUSE from BARACH HUSSEIN OBAMA in May 2016. That award was accepted by JW GrandMother -- herself the child of a police officer -- on behalf of her murdered POLICE OFFICER Grandson who was shot and killed while on-duty in 2015, when two armed robbers entered the Philadelphia GameStop where her 30 year-old video game enthusiast Grandson was shopping. After shooting and killing Grandson Police Officer, one of the escaping robbers was wounded by Grandson's partner, whom had been waiting in the Duo's patrol car.

***********************                             *************************

The following 1982 NEW YORK criminal prosecution and conviction of a prominent Jehovah's Witness Elder CHILD MOLESTER is a highly significant court case in this genre because it was this case which likely "motivated" the WatchTower Society Leadership to make the move to eliminate SWORN POLICE OFFICERS from serving as "Elders" in local congregations, where those Sworn Police Officers were privy to the Cult's various internal secrets, including criminal conduct of its growing membership, which the "FAITHFUL & DISCREET SLAVE" wanted to kept hidden from public view.
NEW YORK v. DONALD J. NICHOLSON JR was the 1982-83 New York state criminal prosecution and conviction of a POPULAR and PROMINENT Jehovah's Witness Elder named Donald Nicholson Jr., then age 45, of the Warrensburg, New York Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Donald Nicholson is reported to have served as Convention Overseer or Department Head at multiple WatchTower conventions over the years.

The charismatic and previously well-liked Donald J. Nicholson is alleged to have sexually molested multiple children of his fellow Jehovah's Witnesses over the years before finally being publicly exposed as a pedophile. It is further alleged that multiple reports of alleged molestations may have been "buried" for many years before Don Nicholson finally made the mistake of molesting the young daughter of his own congregation's Presiding Overseer, Lee Steele, who just so happened to be a retired New York State Trooper.

Allegedly, when Lee Steele initially learned of his daughter's molestation, Steele was pressured to keep the matter within the organization and out of public view. Having  been a sworn Police Officer, Steele refused to "play ball" with the Circuit Overseer and other WatchTower Cult representatives as to keeping the matter within the organization, or thereafter "shaping" his testimony so as to keep the WatchTower's teachings and policies out of the matter. In June 1982, with the cooperation of Steele and others, Don Nicholson was indicted on two counts of RAPE and two counts of sexual abuse committed against two females less than 11 years-old committed during Summer 1979.

In November 1982, when alleged efforts to intimidate other local JW Elders failed, with Steele and at least one other local JW Elder agreeing to testify honestly and completely against Nicholson, Donald J. Nicholson thereafter agreed to plead "guilty" to only the two counts of sexual abuse -- for which he received a sentence of 27 to 84 months in prison. Affirmed on appeal in December 1983.


Although the WatchTower Society had taught since World War I that its members should not bear arms in the Military, it was not until immediately after this case, where the WatchTower Society was unable to control the Presiding Overseer, that the "FAITHFUL & DISCREET SLAVE" decided that it was no longer a very good idea to continue to allow Sworn Police Officers to serve as "Elders" in its local congregations. Although issued earlier, the new policy was announced to the entire public in the July 15, 1983 issue of the WATCHTOWER magazine, which stated in part:

"During these 'last days,' many employees are expected to carry a firearm. Bank or security guards, watchmen and policemen may even be required to do so to hold employment. But what of the Christian, who is obligated to 'provide for those who are his own? ... His Bible-trained viewpoint would be different from that of worldly persons, who feel free to carry such weapons and to use them as they see fit in any dangerous situation that may arise. ... He will want to avoid bloodguilt, having in mind Jehovah's viewpoint on the sanctity of blood. ... A mature Christian should try to find unarmed employment. Some Witnesses by talking with their employer have been successful in changing to a job that does not require carrying a weapon. As the world becomes increasingly violent we can no longer regard as exemplary a brother who continues in armed employment. He could be allowed six months to make a change. If he does not make a change, he would not be in a position to hold special privileges of service and responsibility in the congregation."


HEATHER STEELE v. DONALD J. NICHOLSON, WARRENSBURG NY CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ET AL was a confidentially settled 2021-23 New York civil court case. The following are edited excerpts from Plaintiff's Complaint (allegations denied entirely by defendants):

STEELE was raised a Jehovah's Witness and was a congregant at defendant CONGREGATION as a child. STEELE regularly attended meetings and events organized by, and affiliated with, the Jehovah's Witness organization. ... STEELE was trained by WATCHTOWER, CONGREGATION, and GOVERNING BODY that she should obey, trust and respect the individuals appointed as elders, including [DONALD J.] NICHOLSON. ... NICHOLSON used his position as an elder to gain access to STEELE and used that access to accomplish the acts of molestation of STEELE alleged herein.

[DONALD J.] NICHOLSON molested several minors over the course of nearly two decades or more. Defendant NICHOLSON'S abuse of STEELE commenced when she was two years of age and continued until she was ten years of age. The molestation included fondling, to which NICHOLSON admitted, oral copulation and other egregious acts of sexual molestation.

... one or more elders at defendant CONGREGATION were aware of reports of defendant NICHOLSON'S sexual molectation of a minor relative before the abuse of STEELE concluded. Despite this report, defendants CONGREGATION, WATCHTOWER and GOVERNING BODY did nothing to remove defendant NICHOLSON from his appointed position as an elder and provided no warning to members of defendant CONGREGATION whose children were put at risk of being molested, including STEELE and
her family.

... in late 1981 or early 1982, one or more elders at defendant CONGREGATION were informed of defendant NICHOLSON'S sexual molestation of additional minor congregants, including STEELE. In addition to the elders assigned to defendant CONGREGATION, the circuit overseer who had been appointed by defendant WATCHTOWER was involved in meetings regarding defendant NICHOLSON'S molestation of STEELE. ... defendant CONGREGATION formed a judicial committee, and although defendant NICHOLSON originally denied the accusations, he later changed course and admitted to the misconduct. Defendant NICHOLSON was removed as an elder and disfellowshipped.

... the school STEELE attended at the time of the judicial committee in 1982 had been informed that NICHOLSON had molested STEELE. As mandated reporters, STEELE'S family expected a report to be made to law enforcement and questioned the elders and circuit overseer as to how to proceed with the criminal investigation. The circuit overseer, BROTHER CHIMIKILIS [Chimicles] cautioned against aiding any investigation by law enforcement or social services because it could have very serious consequences for CONGREGATION and bring reproach on Jehovah's name. One of the elders, ROSS PERSONS, stated that these same concerns about CONGREGATION'S reputation had caused the elders not to report the abuse to law enforcement when they learned of it.

On or about March 2, 1982, STEELE'S father [who was a retired NY State Trooper] sent a detailed letter to defendant WATCHTOWER explaining how they had been pressured not to cooperate with law enforcement. ... law enforcement was contacted about NICHOLSON'S molestation of STEELE. Despite the attempts to dissuade STEELE'S family from cooperating with law enforcement, STEELE did cooperate.

Defendant NICHOLSON was charged criminally for molesting STEELE. STEELE was forced to go through a criminal process that resulted in defendant NICHOLSON being sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison. ... after he was released from prison, defendant NICHOLSON reunited with his family in Clinton, New Jersey, where the family had relocated to escape the notoriety of defendant NICHOLSON'S actions. ... [DONALD J.] NICHOLSON was reinstated as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in 1992.

... shortly after [DONALD] NICHOLSON'S reinstatement as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, a letter was sent to WATCHTOWER explaining the deficiencies in its policies for responding to child molestation and highlighting the story of NICHOLSON'S molestation of STEELE and others. The letter forecast that as a result of NICHOLSON'S reinstatement other children were put at risk, and that the disfellowshipping years before had done nothing to aid his victims, including STEELE, who the writer explained was suffering greatly.

... additional allegations of child molestation by defendant NICHOLSON were raised in 1995. Defendant NICHOLSON was not forthcoming with the judicial committee and was disfellowshipped again. ... defendant NICHOLSON was reinstated as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in 2007. He was disfellowshipped again in 2014.

***************************                                 ****************************

SAVIEL G. COLON ET AL v. BOSTON PUBLIC HEALTH COMMISSION ET AL is an ongoing 2022-23 Massachusetts federal civil court case in which multiple Mass residents are seeking MILLIONS in compensation because of the City of Boston's requirement to show proof of vaccination for entry into various public buildings, facilities, and events, which made Saviel Colon (and his fellow plaintiffs) "unable to go to restaurants, museums, and zoos with his family." Pending.

SAVIEL COLON v. CITY OF BOSTON is an ongoing 2022-23 Massachusetts state civil court case in which Saviel Colon is seeking $2 MILLION because the City fired him from his job as a Police Officer after rejecting Saviel Colon's request for a religious exemption from Covid-19 vaccinations and the weekly testing alternative. The Jehovah's Witness Minister was hired in December 2019, but after rejecting his exemption request, the City placed Colon on unpaid indefinite leave in October 2021, and then fired him in October 2022.

Saviel Colon raised his WatchTower religion and his alleged religious beliefs against vaccinations in his complaint without mentioning that the WatchTower Society unofficially, behind-the-scenes advocated accepting Covid vaccinations. Colon charged the city with negligence, detrimental reliance, intentional misrepresentation and deceit, tortious interference with a business relationship, intentional infliction of emotional distress, bad faith, and even simple assault -- the last because "the actions of the Defendant placed the Plaintiff in fear and apprehension of imminent bodily harm."

In addition to the $2 MILLION that Colon is seeking, Saviel Colon also says he is entitled to additional damages for "emotional distress, embarrassment, humiliation, anxiety, sleeplessness, and emotional trauma" as well as costs and attorney's fees, as well as lost retirement benefits because his firing came before he was fully vested. Pending.




George Robert Rees, lovingly known as Bob, was born in Churdan, Iowa on July 11, 1938 ... raised by their parents on a 160 acre grain and dairy farm. While working at Woolworth's department store in Davenport, Iowa, he met Roxanna Rose Laxton. After dating only three months, ... They married on January 11, 1962 ... In 1962, Bob and Roxanna moved to Racine, Wisconsin where they welcomed their first child, George Robert Rees, Jr. In 1964 they moved to Cedarburg where Bob fulfilled his life-long dream of becoming a police officer. ... There, in Cedarburg, their family grew to include another son, Garrett and two daughters, Corinne and Leann. ... While raising the family in Cedarburg, Bob's career in the police department continued to advance from a patrolman in the first ten years, followed by five years as a detective and then becoming assistant chief in 1979. Finally, he served as chief of police from November of 1981 until his retirement in 1999. ...

In the early 1970s Bob and Roxanna were visited by Jehovah's Witnesses. Filled with many questions, they began to study the Bible in earnest and in 1972 they were baptized. Bob found joy in serving others in this new way -- sharing the Bible's message of hope. He also had the privilege of baptizing many others, including some of his own grandchildren. After retirement, Bob was able to spend more time in the ministry with Roxanna, often serving together as auxiliary pioneers. And, as an elder in the congregation, he was known for his compassion in visiting the sick and elderly or those who needed assistance. Though he led a life in service to others, he did take time to enjoy nature -- hunting ... , 

***********************                             *************************



Kenneth Williams, of Big Stone Gap, [Virginia] passed away Thursday (June 16, 2005) at his residence, after a long illness. Kenneth was a life-long resident of the area. He was of the Jehovah Witness faith. Kenneth was a deputy for the Wise County Sheriffs Dept. ... Survivors include his wife, Letha Williams of the home; two sons, Marvin Lynn Williams, Deetsville, Ala. and Greg Williams, Georgia; two daughters, Katrina Campbell, Florida and Kentra Lee Carter, of the home; two brothers, Chester Williams and Ernie Williams, both of Kingsport, Tenn.; four sisters, Della, Rika, Evelyn Neeley, Denna and husbands and five grandchildren. Funeral services were held Sunday, June 19 at Gilliam Funeral Home, Big Stone Gap, with [Raymond J. Schneider] officiating. Graveside services were held at Powell Valley Memorial Gardens, Big Stone Gap, Monday, June 20.



The following XJW Bio clip is excerpted from "JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES: Victims of Deception", by Ralph T. Miller, Retired Captain, Madisonville Police Department. This editor knows the identity of the "scarfaced" Jehovah's Witness "Thug" from California mentioned by Miller in the following scene. (See "FIREWORKS" article.) I also knew the 2018-deceased out-of-town "bully" who accompanied "Scarface" to Madisonville. They LIED -- partially.

Readers -- especially law enforcement officers -- should take from the following account the FACT that the WatchTower Society and Jehovah's Witnesses are fully capable of sending to your town one or more out-of-town or even out-of-state "mafioso hitmen" looking JWs with the intent of intimidating ANYONE -- including pistol and badge packing police officers (edited):
"With the appointment of a new Police Chief and a subsequent reorganization of the department, I was promoted to Detective Sergeant. ... It was now sometime in the Fall of 1979, and I was getting dressed to go to work on the three-to-eleven shift at the Police Department. 

My wife Linnie came into our bedroom and informed me that there were two Elders from the Kingdom Hall in the living room, and that they wanted to speak to me. I asked Linnie if she knew what they wanted. My wife had a very puzzled look on her face, and replied that she didn't know. I couldn't imagine why they would want to see me. I had not attended a meeting in several years, and only had occasional contact with the Witnesses, usually when they came to the house to visit with Linnie, or when I met one of them on the street. 

I walked into the living room and greeted our visitors. After they had introduced themselves, we shook hands, and I invited them to sit down on the couch -- opposite me. Both men were dressed in business suits and ties, wearing overcoats, and appeared to be thirty to forty years of age. One of the men was tall and slender looking (Gary Kerr, deceased HVAC contractor), and the other man was of medium height and stocky build and had several scars on his face. (RJS?) 

I remember thinking they looked more like Mafia hit-men than "Elders" of Jehovah's Witnesses. Their ominous appearance and nervousness, coupled with the fact that I didn't recognize them as members of the local congregation concerned me. When I asked the two men what I could do for them, they informed me that they had been sent from California to Madisonville by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. They further stated that Jehovah's Spirit was being hindered here in Madisonville, as evidenced by the fact that there had been no growth in the congregation for some time. Their job, they informed me, was to determine what the problem was and to take whatever action was necessary to correct it. The men further related that they felt that perhaps there were people in the congregation that were involved in wrongdoing which was grieving God's Holy Spirit. 

At that point, I asked the scar-faced man doing most of the talking what that had to do with me. The [scar-faced] man replied that it had been brought to their attention by members of the congregation that I had been seen smoking. The scarfaced man then brazenly informed me that, even though I was inactive, I was still considered to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. If the report about my smoking was true, I would be given a short period of time in which to correct the problem and, if I refused, I would be disfellowshipped (excommunicated). 

I felt humiliated and embarrassed by these complete strangers' accusation, and I could feel my face growing flushed as the resentment welled up inside of me. I had willingly "kicked" the cigarette habit back in 1973, when the Society had ordered all of their followers to stop using tobacco in any form. The organization had determined it was an "unclean habit" that was injurious to people's health, and therefore a sin to use it. I had started smoking again in 1976, when I stopped attending meetings and going out in service. 

However, I really didn't think that these two coarse looking characters from the Watchtower Society had any right to come into my home and dictate to me how to live my life. Looking at the two men with the hardest, coldest stare I could muster, I reached into my inside coat pocket and pulled out a cigar. As I lit up and puffed several times to get it started, the two men abruptly stood. The man with the scars on his face angrily stated, "Well, I guess you've made your decision." I calmly retorted, "I certainly have, and now it's time for you to leave." I got out of my chair and followed the two men as they quickly walked to the front door and exited our house. 

The Thursday night following my confrontation with the elders, my wife and youngest son Chris, who was now seven or eight years of age, attended the Ministry School and Service Meeting at the Kingdom Hall. When they returned home, my wife somberly informed me that one of the elders had made the formal announcement that I had been disfellowshipped. I was disconcerted by this news. Not because of being disfellowshipped; I was expecting that. Rather, I was offended and annoyed by the way the elders had vilified me in the presence of my youngest son. I am sure that Chris was too young to fully understand the proceedings and everything that took place. However, I was equally sure that Chris got the distinct impression that his [Police Officer] "Daddy" had done something very bad. According to my wife, the elder making the announcement didn't state the reason for my being disfellowshipped. That was left to the imagination of the congregation, to figure out what terrible sin of which I was guilty. 

After my being disfellowshipped, I had no further contact with Jehovah's Witnesses for the next four or five years. Even though my wife Linnie continued in the organization as a member in good standing, because of my being disfellowshipped, none of the Witnesses ever visited her in our home. I continued my career with the Madisonville Police Department, having been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, ... ."

EDITOR'S NOTE: Around 2004-05, when I had not attended a Kingdom Hall in about 7-8 years, a known "trainee thug" of the by-then-much-older two "thugs" mentioned in the above MILLER BIO showed up at my home on a similar/same mission to find some/any reason to have me disfellowshipped from the Borg. Being much more intelligent than the college-educated, white-collar stooge whom the WatchTower Society thought could outsmart me, I "toyed" with the two JWs for about half an hour.

The Leadguy, like "Scarface" above, finally became frustrated, stood-up, and yelled, "SHUT UP SO I CAN TALK!!!" Readers should understand that this Editor probably outweighed BOTH JWs PUT TOGETHER, and I had done hard manual farm labor for the first 22 years of my life. Laughing at both of them, I retorted, "If you ever again tell me to 'SHUT UP' in my own home, I will pick you up, throw you out the door, and then kick both your asses all the way down the street."

JW Leadguy's backup, who had turned white-as-a-ghost, stood up, began moving toward the door, while muttering, "Let's go; let's go." Believe it or nor, but half-my-size JW Leadguy stood his ground and continued to snipe at me. Realizing that "touching him" may have been one of his bottom-of-list goals, I simply continued to out-talk him.

*************************                           **************************




Commonwealth Journal
Monday, March 31, 1969


'Good' People Flout Laws

Law and law enforcement with a double standard weakens law and order. In these days of increasing lawlessness, it is disturbing to see infractions of justice through double-standard law enforcement as shown below.

As I was driving down South U.S. 27 at about the night speed limit, a small white Corvair sped by as though I was standing still. He also had no rear lights at all. At that moment I gleefully noticed a State Trooper parked at the side of the road as it gives me great pleasure to see these fine men protecting us from reckless drivers.

The Trooper took up the chase. However, before he could catch up with the speedster, the speedster turned into the parking lot of a nice large church. The trooper also turned into the parking lot. This made me curious. I had to see what would happen and so turned into the parking lot, also.

I saw "Mr. Speedster" running off into church for prayer meeting. I couldn't help but stop the officer and ask if he wasn't going to give that man a ticket. The officer answered, "What for?"

I have a great deal of respect for State Troopers who are performing a very necessary service to the state. However, Troopers like this are not doing the "good" people a service.

The "good" people who flout the law are not benefited by "getting away with it," for many speeding "good" people are killed and kill others on our highways everyday, due to thinking they can "get away with it".

Why not at least give warning tickets so drivers would be prompted to keep their cars in safe condition at all times.

Edgar [I.] Spitzke
Instructional Technician
Somerset Community College


Commonwealth Journal
Thursday, April 3, 1969


Law Enforcement Standards

In your paper of Monday, March 31, was printed a letter from Edgar [I.] Spitzke who complained about a "Double Standard" of law enforcement -- one for the "good" people and another for the rest of the people.

He cited an occurrence which he says he witnessed on U.S. 27 south of Somerset concerning a State Trooper who let a "good" man "flout" the law.

I know more about this incident than does Mr. Spitzke since I was the Trooper involved. He spoke of a white Corvair passing him as though he was standing still, and that the Corvair had no taillights.

True, it did not have taillights. I was also of the opinion that it was exceeding the night speed limit, as I pulled out behind the car in an attempt to clock its speed. But, before I could get a satisfactory clock of its speed, the Corvair turned off U.S. 27, traveling a short distance on another road, then pulling into a church parking lot.

When I pulled in behind the Corvair, the driver and occupants were out of the car and were starting toward the church. I got the attention of the driver and informed him that his taillights were inoperative. I gave him a verbal warning to make the repairs the next day. He stated he was not aware that they were out, and that he would repair them.

I also informed the driver that he should observe the speed limit more closely, but that I couldn't cite him to court because of not obtaining a satisfactory clock of his speed.

As I started to leave, Mr. Spitzke "couldn't help but stop" me and asked if I was going to "let that man get by with that?" I asked him, "Get by with what?" His reply was, "For driving without taillights." He said nothing about speed.

I told Mr. Spitzke that the Corvair's driver was verbally warned and agreed to repair the taillights the next day.

Mr. Spitzke then demanded my number. I gave him my name and badge number, but did not ask for his name or ask him how he happened to arrive at the scene so quickly himself.

Seldom do I, an officer, have to answer to an individual who implies he knows my job better than I, to question my integrity, and to accuse me of being partial to an individual just because he was going to church.

I would ticket any "good" person just as quickly as I would any person whose reputation is not good.

In nine years as a State Trooper, I have cited to court many whom I knew to be ministers. Is that a "double standard?" I don't know of a Trooper in the county who uses a "double standard".

Professor Spitzke, on the basis of his letter, apparently doesn't know "Mr. Speedster" can't be ticketed for speeding merely on opinion, or that verbal warnings on defective equipment may be given in lieu of written warnings under circumstances judged by common sense.

A church parking lot is not an ideal place to sit parked for up to 10 minutes while writing a warning ticket, with church people arriving and having to drive around a State Police car in order to park.

I did not see any reason to publicly embarrass the driver at the church door, when an oral warning to make repairs would be sufficient.

I was glad to read of Mr. Spitzke's interest in law enforcement, and agree with him that "good" people are killed on our highways every day.

Even though I consider his approach rude and his accusations unfounded, Mr. Spitzke apparently is very interested in impartial law enforcement, badly equipped vehicles, and faulty driving habits. This expressed interest by him, his implied knowledge of police procedures, and his education make Mr. Spitzke an ideal prospect for a position with the Somerset Police Department or the Kentucky State Police. Both organizations are seeking qualified applicants.

Ray F. Brittain
State Trooper
Somerset, Ky


Readers who are unfamiliar with Mr./Professor Edgar I. Spitzke Jr. (b.1937) are in for a treat. At the time, Ed Spitzke was "Congregation Servant" (aka COBE, aka Presiding Overseer) of the Somerset, Kentucky Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Even prior to the publication of these two LTTEs, Ed Spitzke had been employed by the COMMONWEALTH JOURNAL for some time. When the local owners of the COMMONWEALTH JOURNAL eventually sold the newspaper to out-of-state investors, Edgar Spitzke's responsibilities increased -- eventually rising to Editor. Spitzke also worked as editor and other capacities for newspapers in nearby counties as the out-of-state investors also purchased those newspapers. JW Elder Ken Shmidheiser (sent from Philadelphia to Somerset by the WatchTower Society before he even had to shave) followed behind Spitzke in the various positions. Ken Shmidheiser's recent last position before retirement was at corporate HQ of the media conglomerate who was the most recent buyer. Do your research, and you will find other Jehovah's Witness Elders in other states who similarly rose through management with these same out-of-town corporate owners. HHHHMMMMM!!!!! But, we digress.

About five years earlier, Edgar Spitzke (sister married Zenke) and his wife Gloria (Froberg) Spitzke were WatchTower Society "Special Pioneers" who had been sent on their third assignment (that we know about) to Somerset, Kentucky from Chicago, Illinois. The Spitzkes also had worked for 7 years at WatchTower Society World Headquarters in Brooklyn, New York. Edgar Spitzke is a member of a family of German industrialists. Note how Ed Spitzke (yes, born in 1937, but "where"?) was not afraid to dress-down this uniformed and armed officer. HHHHHHMMMMMMMMM!!! (Does a certain scene from "Dr. Strangelove" also flash through your mind?)

******************          ******************


******************          ******************

CALIFORNIA v. MARTIN RAMOS is an ongoing 2017 California criminal prosecution of a JW ELDER then serving at the Fresno, California Palm West Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. In October 2017, after receiving an anonymous tip, Martin Ramos was arrested and charged with oral copulation of a person under 18, child molestation, possession of child pornography, and showing pornography to a minor. The pornography charges relate to Martin Ramos and his 17 year-old victim allegedly exchanging about 30 photographs via cellphone around September 2017. The molestation and oral sex charges relate to Martin Ramos and his 17 year-old victim allegedly having sex in Ramos' car while driving his victim to and from a Kingdom Hall meeting in October 2017. Ramos supposedly had met his teenage victim three or so years previous -- possibly at another Fresno-Madera area Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Media reports reported that Ramos had been "mentoring" his teenage victim. In JW-speak, we assume that such means that as a JW Elder, Martin Ramos had been "studying" with his teenage victim. This late 2017 sexual assault case simply goes to show that the WatchTower Cult DOES NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY its problem with JW Elders whom are child molesters and/or rapists. If the CULT did take this problem seriously, there is no way that in 2017 that a HISPANIC JW Elder would be permitted to "study" with a teenage girl, and no way that in 2017 that a HISPANIC JW Elder would be transporting a teenage girl to and from the Kingdom Hall with noone else in the car. Martin Ramos, age 43, had been employed for 8 years as a Dispatcher with the Madera Police Department -- until his arrest!!!


STEPHANIE WATSON v. OHIO DEPARTMENT of REHABILITATION & CORRECTION was a 2013-17 Ohio federal employment discrimination lawsuit filed by a highly educated (Juris Doctor, Master of Education Administration) female African-American Jehovah's Witness named Stephanie Watson (DOB:1956). In August 2010, Stephanie Watson, then age 54, applied for and obtained a job as a Parole Officer with the ODRC at the Mansfield Adult Parole Authority. ODRC fired Stephanie Watson only 50 days later, on October 6, 2010, while Watson was still in the probationary period, after Watson failed to complete a mandatory firearms training program. (Parole Officers in Ohio apparently are required to carry firearms. Although Watson's failure to complete firearms training induced her termination, Watson actually completed part of the firearms training. Watson's failure to complete that training appears to have been caused by factors other than any religious objection to such, per the USDC opinion.)

ODRC cited multiple "incidents" and/or "write-ups" leading to Stephanie Watson's termination -- beginning on Watson's first day and continuing throughout. Stephanie Watson flatly denied all of them as untrue. After her termination, Stephanie Watson began to apply for other job openings with ODRC -- nearly 200 jobs across the state, including Automotive Technician and Assistant Medical Director. ODRC considered Watson eligible for re-hire, and even interviewed Watson for at least 12 of those 23 openings. However, Stephanie Watson was not re-hired by ODRC.

STEPHANIE WATSON v. SERVICE EMPLOYEES INTERNATIONAL UNION DISTRICT 99 and STEPHANIE WATSON v. OHIO DEPARTMENT of REHABILITATION & CORRECTION were unfair labor practice claims filed with the State Employment Relations Board in late 2010 or early 2011. In March 2011, the SERB unanimously dismissed with prejudice Watson's claims against both SEIU and ODRC.

In June 2011, Watson filed EEOC Charge #1, claiming that the ODRC terminated her due to retaliation, racial discrimination, and gender discrimination.

In July 2013, Watson filed EEOC Charge #2, claiming retaliation, racial discrimination, and gender discrimination for the ODRC's failure to hire her for three specific jobs for which she had applied.

In April 2015, Watson filed EEOC Charge #3, claiming retaliation and discrimination for the ODRC's failure to hire her for another specific job.

The EEOC issued right-to-sue letters for all three charges. Watson filed this federal lawsuit in December 2013, claiming retaliatory and discriminatory termination and failure-to-hire for the 23 jobs addressed here. Watson's original complaint also included claims of age discrimination, religious discrimination, and disability discrimination (Graves disease), but those claims were eventually dropped.

In March 2016, Watson's federal lawsuit was summarily dismissed in total by the USDC. In May 2017, the USCA affirmed that decision.


CHRISTOPHER EVANS v. CITY OF CLEVELAND OHIO POLICE DEPARTMENT is an ongoing 2014 Ohio federal employment discrimination civil lawsuit which involves an African-American former Cleveland Police Officer named Christopher Evans who converted to the Jehovah's Witnesses in 2012. Christopher Evans reportedly joined the department in 1993, and reportedly had no disciplinary actions (see below) prior to his termination sometime in 2013-14. After converting to the JWs, Chris Evans requested a demotion to a position which does NOT require the carrying of a firearm. Evans alleges that he got no cooperation from the department and little cooperation from the police Union. Supposedly because of the stress caused by his having to continue to carry a firearm, Evans reportedly began to experience mental health issues. Reportedly, in March 2014, Evans was ordered to obtain professional help, but at some point Evans allegedly failed to keep one or more appointments. For that and other possible reasons, Evans reportedly was issued a "disciplinary action", but Evans allegedly could not be located at his listed address. Evans reportedly was designated as "AWOL", and apparently at some point was terminated. Evans was most recently stationed at the Fourth District station. This federal lawsuit which alleges "failure to accommodate" was filed in June 2014. We look forward to additional clarifying details, including how EEOC dealt with Evan's claims. We can't help but wonder whether the "Christopher Evans" mentioned in this 2008 State of Ohio appellate court decision is the same person above???


BERNARD L. WESTBROOK v. NORTH CAROLINA A&T STATE UNIVERSITY is an ongoing 2008-14 North Carolina federal court case. A Greensboro, North Carolina Jehovah's Witness Elder, named Bernard L. Westbrook, currently age 63, is suing his former employer for religious discrimination after Westbrook was terminated for his refusal to carry a firearm during the course of his employment as a campus security and parking officer.

Bernard Westbrook was initially hired by the University on a temporary basis as a campus security and parking officer in 1994. Westbrook became a permanent employee in 1996, and worked in other departments, including the University's Human Resources Department from 1999 to 2006. In 2006, Westbrook was reassigned back to the Police and Public Safety Department, which by that time required campus security and parking officers to carry a firearm. At the time of that reassignment, Westbrook informed the HR Director that his WatchTower religion prevented him from carrying a weapon, so the decision was made to not require Westbrook to carry a firearm.

However, in 2008, a new Chief of the Police and Public Safety Department ordered Westbrook to attend weapons training, and threatened termination if he refused, for a number of good reasons. First, to allow Westbrook to continue to work in the Police and Public Safety Department without carrying a weapon placed Westbrook in personal danger, plus made the University liable for any harm that might come to Westbrook during the course of his duties as a security officer as a result of his failure to have a weapon. Second, allowing Westbrook to not carry a firearm threatened the Police Department's accreditation with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. When Westbrook twice refused to attend scheduled weapons training, he was terminated in October 2008.

In March 2009, Westbrook filed a religious discrimination complaint with the EEOC, and received a right-to-sue letter in March 2012. In May 2012, Bernard L. Westbrook filed this federal lawsuit in which he alleged that he had been terminated because of his religious beliefs and practices, and that the University failed to accommodate those religious beliefs and practices by placing him in another suitable position at the University for which he was qualified.

Westbrook also attempted to bolster his case by also alleging that he had been the subject of a hostile work environment and disparate treatment. Westbrook attempted to claim that his refusal to carry a firearm did not become an issue until after Westbrook had refused his supervisor's request to oversee the department's Christmas Party in December 2007. Westbrook further alleged that, in 2008, when he had requested "time off" to attend a WatchTower Convention, that his supervisor had required Westbrook to notify his co-workers of the reason for his requested leave, and to obtain their written consent for him to take his leave, prior to granting Westbrook the leave -- which was granted. (Does anyone else suspect that there was more complications and other details to this "leave" situation than Westbrook disclosed to the court? Remember, this was at the summary judgment stage, not at trial.)

Westbrook also named two of his former supervisors as parties to this lawsuit, but they were dismissed from the lawsuit by the USDC. In September 2014, the USDC granted the University's motion for summary judgment on Westbrook's disparate treatment and hostile work environment claims, but decided to allow Westbrook's "failure to accommodate" claim to proceed to trial. Outcome pending.


An African-American Jehovah's Witness, who was employed as a Connecticut State Trooper, named Kenneth Hall, age 57, was critically injured, on Sept. 2, 2010, after his police cruiser was rear-ended on I-95, while Hall was sitting inside his cruiser writing a traffic ticket for a tractor-trailer that he had pulled over. While nearly all media reports either implied or explicitly stated that Trooper Ken Hall had been killed at the scene of the accident, or explicitly stated that Hall was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital, one lone media report truthfully reported that, "Hall was rushed to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, [Massachusetts], where he later died." The truthful media report further related that Hall's family was rushed to the hospital -- indicating that Hall lived for some time after arriving at the hospital. Such facts are significant only to those sufficiently familiar with the beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses to immediately suspect that Trooper Kenny Hall was denied life-saving blood transfusions -- either at his own direction, or that or his loving family members. Hall's obituary stated that Hall was a member of one of the Hartford, Connecticut Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, and that he "participated in mission work all over the Hartford area". Hall's elaborate funeral was conducted at the Connecticut State Armory, and included full "military honors".


MELVIN GUEVARA v. COUNTY OF ORANGE was a 2006-08? California Workers Compensation Claim lawsuit filed by the surviving Jehovah's Witness Family of a deceased Orange County Sheriff's "Special Officer" named Melvin Guevara. Few details known, but apparently some or all "workers compensation" benefits had been denied due to the circumstances of Melvin Guevara's death. Any and all denials were being appealed.

Officer Guevara was a 24 year-old former Orange County Animal Control Officer who, in 2005, despite the WatchTower Society's quasi-prohibition against employment which requires the carrying of firearms, applied with the Orange County Sheriff's Department for a badge-wearing, gun-carrying, sworn law enforcement officer position as a Sheriff's "Special Officer", which is a rank below "Deputy". Rookie Officer Guevara was assigned to work at John Wayne Airport. Assumedly on his way home after his shift had ended at the Airport on New Years Eve 2006, Melvin Guevara came onto a automobile accident on the 91 freeway. Guevara stopped to see if he could render assistance and was killed when another oncoming vehicle could not see the overturned vehicle in the rain and plowed into one or more stopped vehicles. One local reporter attended the funeral and wrote:

"I didn't know Officer Guevara. But I went to his funeral at Westminster Memorial Park last Wednesday, where hundreds of people - family members, friends, other police officers, members of his Jehovah's Witness congregation - gathered under a warm blue sky, around a coffin flanked by a sheriff's honor guard, to celebrate his too-short life. ... ... Then the honor guard and Sheriff Carona presented a folded American flag to the young widow, and a sheriff's deputy bugled the mournful strains of [Taps]."


ALLEN-CURRY v. TEXAS DEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE was a 2002 Texas court case which awarded $544,000.00 to a Riverside, Texas, Jehovah's Witness named Vicki Allen-Curry. Allen-Curry's supervisor, Warden Richard Watkins, was in the habit of opening and closing monthly staff meetings with prayer. Allen-Curry refused to be present during such prayers. When she was suspended for five days and put on probation due to such refusal, Allen-Curry retired prematurely in 1998, after working for TDCJ for 18 years. In June 2002, a Texas jury decided that Allen-Curry's resignation was "forced", and awarded her $500.000.00 for wrongful termination and back pay, plus $44,000 in attorney fees.


WASHINGTON v. SUSAN M. JONES, WASHINGTON v. MARTIN A. JONES, and SCOTT JOHNSON v. MARTIN A. JONES and SUSAN M. JONES are related State of Washington criminal and civil court cases which resulted from the February 2010 attempted murder of a Washington State Trooper and assault on a tow truck operator.

Around 12:15 A.M. on Sunday, February 13, 2010, Susan M. Jones, 45, was stopped for speeding by a Washington State Trooper about one mile from her Seaside, Washington home, but Susan Jones was thereafter arrested for D.U.I. Susan Jones then texted her husband, Martin A. Jones, a local BAIL BONDSMAN, regarding her arrest and the impoundment of her car.

Shortly thereafter, as a second Washington State Trooper and a tow truck operator prepared Susan Jones' van for tow, Martin Jones, 45, casually walked onto the scene and briefly questioned the Trooper and tow truck operator what they were doing without identifying himself as the owner of the vehicle. Jones then walked away. The Trooper and tow truck operator went back to processing Jones' auto for transport. Marty Jones then slipped back up behind the Trooper, grabbed him, and put a .22 caliber pistol to the back of his head -- firing twice and laughing. Jones then fled with the unarmed tow truck operator in pursuit. Jones stopped and fired at the tow truck operator, who retreated back to the scene. As the tow truck operator checked on the Trooper, Jones, realizing that the tow truck operator was unarmed, returned to the scene apparently to finish off the two "witnesses". Fortunately, the Trooper was still conscious -- being grazed by one bullet, and having a second bullet lodged near an ear. The Trooper was able to return fire, so Jones finally fled for good. The Trooper only had to spend two days in the hospital, and managed to identify Martin A. Jones as the assailant.

In March 2011, after a lengthy 7 week trial during which Jones denied being the shooter, Martin A. Jones was convicted of attempted murder and sentenced to 50 years in prison. In June 2013, that conviction was reversed on appeal due to a technicality. That decision was appealed to the Washington Supreme Court. Pending is either that decision or a new trial.

Interestingly, Martin A. Jones own family told the news media that he was an active Jehovah's Witness. Marty Jones reportedly was reared in the Kennewick, Washington area, and spent most of his life there abouts, but he did live and work for a time in Couer d'Alene, Idaho, and in Portland, Oregon. Jones family also deny that Jones was the shooter.

In February 2010, Trooper Scott Johnson, presently Sheriff Scott Johnson, filed a civil lawsuit seeking compensation for his injuries, but Jones has little or no money.


FIRPO CARR v. REDONDO BEACH POLICE DEPT ET AL was a 2000-1 California federal "civil rights" court decision. On June 30, 2000, an African-American Jehovah's Witness, named Firpo W. Carr, then 46, who reportedly was a civilian employee of the Los Angeles Police Department, was stopped while driving his automobile in a Redondo Beach shopping mall parking lot by a Redondo Beach Police officer, who was investigating a credit card fraud that had just been committed in one of the mall's retail stores. Firpo Carr's auto was the same color as was the suspect's auto. In December 2000, Firpo W. Carr filed a $5,000,000.00 federal lawsuit against that police officer, the Chief of Police, and the City of Redondo Beach, in which Carr alleged that the Redondo Beach Police Department engaged in "racial discriminatory acts", including "racial profiling". Firpo Carr reportedly also sought out much public attention to his case. In press conferences, community meetings, and talk radio programs, Carr said the motivation for the stop was "DWB" ("Driving while Black"), and was not based on any reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. In June 2001, the USDC dismissed the Chief of Police and the City of Redondo Beach from the lawsuit. In July 2001, the USDC dismissed the individual police officer, thereby ending the case. The judge labeled Carr's allegations as "unfounded".


CARR v. REDONDO BEACH POLICE DEPT ET AL was a 2008 California federal appellate court decision. Given that this USCA opinion is dated April 2008, it appears that Firpo W. Carr filed this second "losing" federal lawsuit against the City of Redondo Beach, the Chief of Police, and one or more individual police officers, sometime in 2007, or 2006. This was an appeal by Firpo Carr after the USDC summarily dismissed his lawsuit. The USCA affirmed the dismissal. Per this opinion, which does not date the incident, it appears that Carr was again stopped by Redondo Beach Police officers -- this time in a residential neighborhood -- who were investigating a female citizen's report that someone was burglarizing the home of a neighbor. One can't help but wonder whether at the time Carr was doing door-to-door JW recruiting? The USCA stated, in part:

"... Viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to Carr, we conclude that there is no genuine issue of material fact with respect to any of Carr's claims. ... The stop did not violate the Fourth Amendment because it was based on reasonable suspicion supported by the articulable facts provided by a citizen who reported that she thought that a man matching Carr's description was burglarizing her neighbor. ... Nor was the length of the stop, approximately 20-25 minutes, constitutionally infirm, as it was limited to the time necessary to investigate the report and to determine that no crime had been committed.

"Given the nature of the crime suspected, and the report from the neighbor of large, full pockets, it was reasonable for one officer to draw his gun (which he did not point at Carr) and for another to conduct a pat down search of Carr's person to determine if he had a weapon. ... The amount of force used to carry out the pat down was objectively reasonable. ...

"There is also no genuine issue of material fact with respect to Carr's claim under Monell ... (1978), because there was no constitutional violation. Carr's state law tort claims of intentional infliction of emotional distress, assault, battery, and false imprisonment fail for the same reason. Though Carr turned out to be wholly innocent of wrongdoing, there is no evidence of any unconstitutional motive or conduct by the police, just a reasonable investigation of the neighbor's call."

For those readers, Jehovah's Witnesses or otherwise, who do not recognize the name Firpo W. Carr, Firpo Carr was probably the best-known Jehovah's Witness in the state of California during the 1990s-2000s. Firpo W. Carr authored a number of books on topics related to the JWs, and his photo has even appeared in the WATCHTOWER magazine. Carr has also been labeled in media reports as "the spiritual advisor" of various members of the Michael Jackson family.


KELLY v. MUNICIPAL COURTS OF MARION COUNTY was a 1996 Indiana federal lawsuit involving an African-American Jehovah's Witness named David Kelly. Kelly worked as a Bailiff in the Indianapolis courtroom of Judge Wendell Mayer. Mayer discharged Kelly, ostensibly for poor job performance as well as for inappropriate conduct, including proselytizing and reading the Bible in public areas of the courthouse. In response, Kelly brought suit, claiming that he was harassed and ultimately fired due to his race, religious beliefs, and refusal to contribute to and work for the Republican Party. After dismissing some of Kelly's claims as barred by the Eleventh Amendment and granting summary judgment against Kelly on most of the others, the district court conducted a jury trial on Kelly's claim that he was fired due to his political beliefs. The district court granted Mayer's motion for judgment as a matter of law. The appellate court affirmed.

This decision contains some info which all employers should find highly informative: When Mayer initially interviewed Kelly in August 1989, he informed Mayer that he had once studied with the Jehovah's Witnesses, whose religious doctrine prohibited members from voting or participating in the political system. However, Kelly stated that he wasn't sure about the Jehovah's Witnesses and intended on remaining a Republican at that time. By January 1990, Kelly informed the Chief Bailiff that he was no longer going to contribute 2 percent of his salary to the Republican Party, because to do so would violate the religious dictates of the Jehovah's Witnesses. In April-May 1990, Kelly further informed the Chief Bailiff that, in keeping with his religious beliefs, he did not intend to work at the polls for the Republican Party during the May primary. Kelly kept a Bible on his desk, which was located in an area of the office that was open to the public, and read such in the public reception area during slow periods. He also read the Bible to prisoners while they were waiting in the holding cells. Mayer instructed Kelly to refrain from reading the Bible or proselytizing in public areas because he believed that such activities could suggest that the court was promoting religion and would thus be a violation of the Judicial Code of Ethics, to which Mayer and his staff were bound.


MINER v. CITY OF GLENS FALLS was a 1992 New York federal case involving a Jehovah's Witness named Donald Miner. Donald Miner was employed by the Glens Falls Police Department in 1966. In 1979, Miner converted to the Jehovah's Witnesses. ***In 1983, Miner formed the conviction that he could not work in any capacity that might require him to take the life of another human being or to carry or use a firearm. Miner was reassigned to a managerial position where he was not required to carry or use a weapon.*** In December 1985, the Board Of Public Safety passed a resolution requiring that all police personnel carry firearms at all times while on duty. At no time, however, did Chief Duggan order Miner to carry a firearm. After Resolution 50 was adopted, Duggan permitted Miner to remain with the police force through June of 1986 to enable him to complete 20 years of service and thereby increase his pension. However, Miner was eventually fired in August 1986 due to his refusal to carry a weapon. Miner promptly filed an unemployment insurance claim. Benefits were granted upon a finding by the New York State Department of Labor that he was involuntarily discharged under non-disqualifying circumstances. Miner also commenced an action in New York State Supreme Court, which he subsequently discontinued in order to pursue a federal lawsuit. The federal Appeals court awarded Miner roughly $250,000.00.


Described by his widow, Francine Hinton Toney, as being "strait-laced" during his teen years growing up in Baltimore, Sean Hinton was reared as a Jehovah's Witness. By 1992, then 22 year-old Sean Hinton sought employment as a law enforcement officer with the Baltimore Police Department, in order to support his wife, two infant sons, and a 5 year-old (step?) daughter. By mid-October 1992, all seemed to be going well. Hinton had nearly completed work at the academy, and was undergoing field training. Graduation and becoming a sworn officer were only a few short weeks away. However, on Friday night, October 24, 1992, Sean Hinton had an auto accident in downtown Baltimore, and was arrested and jailed for DUI. Hinton spent most of that Saturday getting out of jail, and getting his auto out of impoundment. Later that same Saturday afternoon, at 5:40 PM, the troubled Sean Hinton penned a short note to his wife, which stated in part:

"Francine you have dealt with me 4 years, and you never seemed to believe I really loved you -- I do love you. You have Jehovah on your side. I have no one. I need Jehovah but I just can't seem to reach him. So I guess I will see someone. Please take care of our children for me."

Shortly thereafter, Sean Hinton left the housing project apartment which he, his wife, and their children shared with Sean's mother, Jean Hinton. Hinton walked out of the project, rather than driving his auto. At 6:48 PM, Hinton telephoned home from Amtrack's Penn Station to say that he would be home shortly. However, when he didn't return by midnight, his mother and wife reported him missing. Hinton did not return home that weekend, nor to his job on Monday.

On Tuesday, November 3, 1992, Sean Hinton's partially decomposed corpse was found floating in NYC harbor. His wrists were tied together using the drawstrings from the jacket he was wearing. His wallet contained a small amount of cash, and multiple pieces of ID. The autopsy indicated that Hinton had died from drowning several days previous. The NYC medical examiner eventually ruled Hinton's death to be a suicide, but issued the death certificate without a cause of death listed. Curiously, the Baltimore Police Department gave the unsworn Hinton a police funeral and burial, paid for all the expenses, and even reportedly paid out Hinton's insurance benefits to his family, despite the fact that due to the DUI, and failing to return to work, Hinton reportedly had been officially recommended for termination on or about October 28/29, 1992.

Because of all those uncertainties, and others too numerous to mention in this summary, Francine Hinton, Jean Hinton, and other family members refused to believe that Hinton had committed suicide, but rather believed that he had been murdered by corrupt members of the Baltimore Police Department. On Tuesday, October 21, 1992, during Hinton's field training, Hinton and two regular drug-enforcement officers busted an alleged drug dealer. That alleged drug dealer later filed a formal complaint in which he accused the three officers of burglarizing drugs and cash from his home while he was in jail. Hinton's family believe that he was murdered to keep him from testifying in the inquiry that later cleared the two drug-enforcement officers.

MARYLAND v. HINTON. The 1992 case of Sean Hinton was brought back to the public's attention in June 2006, when Hinton's by-then 15 year-old son, Ronald Hinton, was arrested for the rape and murder of the 4 year-old female cousin that he was babysitting. The Hinton family resurrected the case in efforts to excuse why Ronald Hinton had essentially confessed to committing the crime to police interrogators. Although Francine Toney believed and still believes that her son was innocent, in May 2008, a Baltimore jury convicted Ronald Hinton of the rape and murder. Hinton was sentenced to life plus 25 years in prison.


In December 1991, Leslie Roark, a Deputy Sheriff, of Moniteau County, Missouri, was shot and killed while answering a domestic dispute call. Roark's status as a JW is not known, but his funeral talk was delivered by JW Elder Don Schreimann, of the California, Missouri Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.


In May 1988, a 37 year-old Jehovah's Witness, named Cpl. Howard S. Levitt, who was a veteran Philadelphia area police officer, committed suicide inside his assigned police van, which was sitting in a district headquarters' parking lot. Steve Levitt first doused the inside of the van with gasoline, ignited such, and then shot himself in the head with his service pistol. Another officer who was also arriving for the start of the AM shift pulled Levitt from the burning van, but Levitt was dead from the gunshot.


In February 1986, U.S. Customs Patrol Officer Glenn R. Miles, 42, whose son told reporters that Miles was a "very religious" Jehovah's Witness, was murdered along the Mexican border by Mexican drug smugglers while on duty on the Arizona Indian Reservation on which he lived and to which he had been assigned since joining the U.S. Customs Service in 1976. Officer Miles received all the honors typically received by law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty, including having a federal law enforcement facility in Florida named after him.

However, two of the Mexican Nationals eventually arrested for the murder alleged that Glenn Miles had been accepting bribes from their gang, and that "part" of the reason that Miles had been killed was because he had demanded even larger bribes. Such allegations are common, and there is no way to confirm nor disprove such. However, the Customs agency's claim that Miles was tracked down and assassinated by the smugglers is just as unbelievable when compared with some of the scattered details available on the web.

Officer Miles not only was an experienced Customs agent, but he had been employed by the tribal police force on the same reservation prior to joining the Customs agency. Miles had recently remarried after going through a divorce, and may have possibly conquered a drinking problem. On the night in question, Miles was patrolling alone, but was on duty with two other Customs officers who were also residents of the reservation, when he radioed in that he had spotted three possible smugglers. The two other officers supposedly found his dead body only 30 minutes later. Miles own sidearm was missing. Miles reportedly had been shot twice. The apparent first shot went through his [apparently dominant] hand, then through his chest, and out through his back. A second shot through the back of his head was probably fired thereafter. These circumstances raise the question why someone with Miles vast experience would have approached a group of smugglers alone, lightly armed, and apparently without exercising extreme caution.


WADE HAMPTON v. PASCO COUNTY SHERIFF was a 1996-8 Florida federal lawsuit involving an African-American Jehovah's Witness named Wade Hampton Jr. Wade Hampton, age 43, had worked in the Pasco County corrections system for 16 years in administrative positions which apparently had not require him to carry a firearm. Then, in 1995, Hampton accepted an offer o a promotion to a position transporting prisoners. When Hampton thereafter disclosed that his religious beliefs prohibited him from carrying a firearm, or otherwise using deadly force, Wade Hampton was demoted to the then only available position -- a clerical position at one-half the pay rate. Wade Hampton thereafter filed a complaint with the EEOC, and then later filed this federal religious discrimination lawsuit. After two days of testimony, the USDC issued a directed verdict in favor of the Employer.


The September 1983 issue of EBONY magazine featured a picture of the Chief-Of-Police of Opa-Locka, Florida, on its cover, and in the article "Man of God and Gun", the Chief's career and accomplishments in law enforcement were praised. The article focused on the fact that the Chief had been licensed as an AME Minister in 1980, plus the article noted how the two professions meshed to enable the Chief to further help the community.

Also mentioned in the EBONY article was one of the department's three commanders, Cmt. Dorna Love, who was Florida's only female African-American to hold the position of Patrol Commander. Dorna Love started working for the department around 1975, and she also had been the department's first female detective. However, Dorna Love resigned from her law enforcement career in November 1984, at the age of 32. Why? Because Dorna Love was a Jehovah's Witness, and the WatchTower Society had recently tightened its teachings regarding members who were employed on positions that required them to carry a weapon. Ironically, the WatchTower Society, which prohibits females from holding any position of authority in the organization, and "supposedly" prohibits females from "teaching" males, directed its updated rules toward males in that those who continued in such employment were prohibited from holding positions of authority. Maybe Dorna Love should have thought her decision over much more slowly and carefully.


Interestingly, in November 1993, an African-American Jehovah's Witness, named Harvey Davis, was appointed to what had historically been considered one of the most "highly political" appointments in the City of Springfield, Illinois -- the CHIEF OF POLICE. The appointment was heralded in the November 15, 1993, issue of JET magazine. Harvey Davis served as Police Chief until his retirement in May 1995. In June 2003, the Illinois Times referred to the administration of Harvey Davis as "scandal-plagued" due to the JW being "blamed for the disappearance of money, drugs and guns from SPD's evidence room". Rickey B. Davis, brother of Harvey Davis, who was a patrolman in 1993, was promoted to "Sergeant" in 1994. His affiliation with the JWs, if any, is unknown. His racial discrimination lawsuit against the Springfield Police Department provides additional info.


In December 2010, the main newspaper in the African country of Swaziland reported that a Jehovah's Witness employed in the Communications Department of a local Police Department was surprised when he exited Sunday services at his local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Waiting on services to end were officers from the Government Vehicle Anti-Abuse Unit. The JW Employee was charged with "using a government vehicle for any purpose other than that authorised". The Chief of the Government Vehicle Anti-Abuse Unit told reporters: "I believe it is a big sin to steal a government car and use it to go to a place of worship."


Note this obituary published in June 2005: "Xxxxxx ... was a life-long resident of the area. He was of the Jehovah's Witness faith. Xxxxx was a deputy for the Wwww County Sheriffs Dept. ... Funeral services were held ... Raymond J. Schneider officiating. (Ray J. Schneider just so happens to be a prominent representative of the Watch Tower Society. He would not be permitted to officiate at this funeral unless this JW Deputy Sheriff was "in good standing".)

Note this obituary published in October 2006: "Xxxxxx ... was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall, ... . She loved guns and received her concealed weapons permit last year. ... A memorial service will be held ... with Xxxx Xxxx from the Hamilton Kingdom Hall officiating."

Note this obituary published in February 2007: "Funeral services for Agustin Piedra, Jr., 23, of Buffalo, Texas, ... worked as a prison guard for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. He was a member of Jehovah Witness."

This Connecticut Post article features a Jehovah's Witness named Laura Azevedo, who works as a detention officer for the Bridgeport, Connecticut Police Dept. The article actually brags how the various skills developed as a JW makes Laura Azevedo a superior "cop", as noted by the title of the article: "Multilingual cop serves community well".

These "exceptions to the rule" demonstrate that Employers should keep two things in mind. Although JWs are strongly encouraged to not work in law enforcement, a few isolated incidents of Jehovah's Witnesses doing just that may exist. In ruling about JW beliefs in such cases, most courts will look at the individual's interpretations of denominational beliefs, not the denomination's, to determine whether a belief or practice is sincere.


LAWSON v. STATE OF WASHINGTON is a recent 2002 federal lawsuit filed by a Jehovah's Witness named Gregory Lawson. Although this decision contains a lengthy discussion, it does not answer the most obvious questions: Why in the world would a Jehovah's Witness apply to enter a State Trooper Training Academy in the first place? Would Lawson have been willing to carry a firearm after he graduated?

Lawson had twice applied to the Academy, and not once in the detailed personal questionnaire did he ever mention having personal briefs that might conflict with performing the duties of a state trooper, much less conflict with duties and obligations of the training program. During his first two days at the Academy, Lawson saluted the American Flag during the twice daily flag raising and lowering ceremonies without objection. However, during the second evening, Lawson approached his advisor and stated that he was being forced to resign because of a conflict between his personal religious beliefs and the requirements of the Academy. Specifically, Lawson stated that he could not salute the flag, nor could he swear the Oath required of state troopers, despite having stated that he could do so in his two previous applications. Per the facts summarized in the opinion, the Academy personnel made very little effort to discourage Lawson's quitting, and made practically no efforts at "accommodation". After leaving the program, Lawson filed religious discrimination charges with the state's Human Rights Commission and the EEOC. Thereafter, Lawson filed this federal lawsuit. The district court summarily dismissed Lawson's case and this appellate court affirmed.

LONGORIA v. CITY OF LORAIN was a 1961-2 Ohio appellate court case. A Jehovah's Witness, named Luis Longoria Jr., 26, had been employed for four years as a Police Officer in Lorain, Ohio. In May 1961, Officer Longoria refused to march with 18 other city policemen in Lorain's Memorial Day parade, because of his newfound WatchTower beliefs, which prohibited the celebration of Memorial Day and other holidays. Interestingly, Luis and Marilyn Longoria (pregnant) just happened to be mentioned as "newly baptized JW converts" in a local January 1961 newspaper article obtained by the local JWs to supposedly promote a recent Ohio Circuit Assembly. Longoria was initially suspended (his second suspension), and eventually terminated. Luis Longoria lost several appeals at several city government administrative levels. Longoria then filed a civil lawsuit, but lost in local civil court. He then filed this appeal. Outcome unknown.

WILSON v. GEORGETOWN COUNTY was a 1990-4 South Carolina court case. In September 1990, a Jehovah's Witness, named David Wilson Jr., age 41, was called for jury duty in Georgetown County. During voir dire, Wilson informed the presiding judge that due to his religious beliefs as a Jehovah's Witness, he could not sit on a jury and sit in judgment of others. The trial judge declined to excuse Wilson, but informed Wilson that he would find alternate work for Wilson to do. Subsequently, the trial judge met privately with Wilson. The trial judge asked Wilson if he would be willing to serve in some other capacity. Wilson responded affirmatively. The following morning, Wilson reported to the Clerk of Court to begin his alternate service which consisted of janitorial work. While washing the outside court windows, Wilson slipped and fell from a ladder. As a result, he suffered an injury to his back. Wilson filed a claim with the Workers' Compensation Commission for temporary total benefits. Georgetown County denied coverage because Wilson was not considered an employee, since he was serving as a juror at the time of the accident. The single commissioner found that the Commission had jurisdiction to hear the matter and Wilson was a County employee performing alternate service. The Full Commission reversed the single commissioner, ruling that the Commission lacked jurisdiction. The circuit court reversed the Full Commission and ruled that Wilson was an employee and therefore the Commission had jurisdiction. On appeal, the Supreme Court of South Carolina ruled in Wilson's favor.


A somewhat related issue is ownership and use of firearms by Jehovah's Witnesses. While WatchTower HQ has not explicitly ruled out ownership and use of firearms by Jehovah's Witnesses, neither has WatchTower HQ given much sympathy to such. Even using firearms for personal protection is highly discouraged. WatchTower HQ has plainly stated that shooting someone in self-defense or defense of one's family makes a Jehovah's Witness potentially liable for bloodguilt. WatchTower HQ has also discouraged the killing of animals except for self-defense and killing for necessary food -- while highlighting the sanctity of animal life.

Interestingly, as posted on Page 2053 of this website, the Boulder, Colorado Foothills Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, located at 5885 Jay Road, in the Orchard Creek neighborhood, has TWICE attempted to exterminate prairie dogs from its large 11 acre tract of land, in 2015 and 2016, using a highly inhumane manner of "hellfire" extermination.

More interestingly, in March 2016, three "devout" Jehovah's Witnesses living in the Homestead, Florida area -- Jeanette Meneses, Mike Mann, and Antoine James -- were featured in an online ESQUIRE magazine article as participants in Florida's annual python hunt held in the Everglades. While this editor is no fan of pythons, and believes that the extermination of non-native species from Florida's everglades is a environmental positive, IF a person publicly professes to be a devout Jehovah's Witness, while boasting of their participating in the construction of Kingdom Halls in the Miami area as members of the WatchTower Society's Regional Building Committee, then that devout JW should not be publicly advocating participating in an activity that runs counter to WatchTower Cult teachings. And, quoting and supposedly obeying Leviticus -- pouring out an animal's blood onto the ground after killing it -- does NOT justify KILLING FOR SPORT!!!

What is most amazing about this ESQUIRE magazine article revelation is the fact that three DEVOUT and ORGANIZATIONALLY PRIVILEGED adult Jehovah's Witnesses could join together to KILL FOR SPORT and NOT a single one of them have a clue as to there being a potential conflict with WatchTower teachings. This senior-citizen Editor would have known better than this when I was 10 years old. WATCHTOWER SOCIETY -- your members have come a long way in the past 50 years, baby!!!!

************************                       ************************



Wifely Subjection: Mental Health Issues in Jehovah's Witness Women

Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Illness

The Theocratic War Doctrine: Why Jehovah's Witnesses Lie In Court


 *****************                 *****************

<<<------PREVIOUS PAGE----------HOME PAGE----------NEXT PAGE ------>>>